In support of White Ribbon Day, Strategic Group are proud to be making a $5,000 donation to one of our local women and children’s refuges - Jenny’s Place.
Supporting thousands of Newcastle women and their children to escape domestic violence since 1977, Jenny’s Place Chairperson, Jill Evans said the donation will help many more to find safety and hope.
“Many of the women and children who need our help have fled their homes in the middle of the night with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing,” said Mrs Evans.
Strategic Group CEO, Chris Boswell said that domestic violence had devastating impacts for individuals, families and communities.
“Personally I wish we weren’t making this donation, because, like most of us, I wish that there was no need for women’s refuges and no domestic violence in our society.
“Unfortunately this is far from the truth. Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia, with one woman on average killed every week as a result of intimate partner violence.
“When some of us think about domestic violence, we think about the victims standing up, but I think it’s about time that all of us as fathers and grandfathers stand up and began teaching our sons and grandsons that this sort of behaviour has no place in our homes and our society.
“It really is up to all of us (particularly the men out there) to spread the message, loud and clear, that domestic violence has no place in the hearts and minds of the people that we love.”
Violence against women is a serious problem in Australia where:
- A woman is most likely to be killed by her male partner in her home.
- Domestic and family violence is the principle cause of homelessness for women and their children.
- Intimate partner violence is the leading contributor to death, disability and ill-health in Australian women aged 15-44.
- One in three women have experienced physical and/or sexual violence perpetrated by someone known to them.
- One in four children are exposed to domestic violence, which is a recognised form of child abuse.
- The cost of violence against women to the Australian economy is estimated to rise to $15.6 billion per annum.
- One in five women experience harassment within the workplace.
- One in five women over 18 has been stalked during her lifetime.
To donate to Jenny’s place please call us on 1300 857 048 or email email@example.com for details.
For information about events in your area, visit the White Ribbon Australia website.